OverviewThis hike offers you the opportunity to spend a day hiking through the Riverston area in Sri Lanka. The place boasts a spectacular view of the highlands around it. The misty peak of Riverston ends in a sharp 300 m drop from which you can see the surrounding countryside including Thelgamuwa Valley with its terraced fields and the Knuckles range of mountains. Trek through the jungle to Sera Ella waterfalls and enjoy sitting on the rock seats under the spray. Get refreshed in the clear, icy waters of Thelgamuwa Oya. Enjoy the views of Pittawala Paththana trail. Includes a picnic lunch and refreshments. This is one hike you cannot miss. This hike is recommended from January to March but is also available from July to August.
What you can expect
You will be meeting up for the Riverston Excursion at 8:30 am at the Riverston Telecommunications Tower, where the trail-head is. You will have to make your own way there to the starting point, but you will receive directions. Your guide will explain the details of the hike and you will then start your hike. You will be accompanied by an experienced hiking guide, first aid officer and a backup emergency transport vehicle.
You will be starting off up to the Riverston peak from the trail-head. The trail is 5km long and you will be stopping for occasional rest breaks throughout your hike. You will be having some refreshments during these breaks. Riverston's peak is part of the Knuckles Range of mountains. As one of the five peaks in the range, Riverston is part of the high biodiversity of this conserved zone. It also has views of the unspoiled valleys and mountains of the area, which rarely receive human contact. After reaching the top of the peak and spending some time there, you will be returning to the Riverston trail-head.
A vehicle will be transporting you from the trail-head down to the Pittawala Paththana trail. You will be hiking through the beautiful plains of Pittawala Paththana. You will then reach a place called the ‘Mini World’s End’, which is a sharp drop giving spectacular panoramic views of the surroundings. After enjoying the sights at the Mini World’s End and taking a few photographs, you will be returning to the trail-head of Pittawala Paththana.
You will then be traveling in a vehicle to a nearby village for lunch. The meal will be home-cooked in traditional Sri Lankan style. After your delicious village lunch, you will be traveling to the head of the waterfall track.The area is the starting point of many rivers and includes quite a few waterfalls. You will be going on a 7km trek discovering the rivers, streams, and waterfalls in the jungle. You will be visiting Sera Ella, one of the most beautiful waterfalls of Sri Lanka. You will have refreshments along the way. You will be returning back to the head of the track after your visit. A vehicle will drop you off back at the Riverston Tower by 5:30 pm completing your hike.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended for this tour.
- Difficulty Level: Medium.
- The experienced and well-trained guide would take every precaution to ensure the safety and well being of all guests on tour as your safety is our prime concern.
- Subject to favorable weather conditions.
- Service of an English-speaking adventure specialist.
- Refreshments with energy slabs.
- First aid with qualified first aid officer.
- Back up a vehicle for emergency transport.
- Support staff fee for guide, helper(s), and qualified first aid officer
- Hotel pickup and drop-off.
- Any transportation up to the trail-head at Riverston.
- Any additional beverages or food.
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Expenses of personal nature.
- Personal items for warm/windy/rainy conditions should be carried by clients.
- The experienced and well-trained guide would take every precaution to ensure the safety and well-being of all guests on tour as your safety is our prime concern. However, Lakpura or its employees do not accept any liability for death, injury or illness of guests while on tour caused by any animal, reptile, insect, and events of nature or any type of accident.
- Lakpura does not accept any liability for the loss or damage of any personal belongings while on tour.
- No Back Problems.
- No Expectant Mothers.
- No Serious Medical Conditions.
Riverston Tower, RiverstonGet Directions
Terms and Conditions
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy • Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service. • Up to 14 days before the Activity-Date – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to the above processing fee only. • Less than 14 days and in the case of “No Show” – No Refunds. • No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka. • We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.